Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I'm a bad cat mommy

I was mean to poor little Sheba and didn't even realize it tonight! She has this thing for loving to go in the closets as soon as I open the door. If you ask me I'm convinced cats just think absolutely no door should be closed to them because they might miss something important. Anyhow, I know this about her, always have, and don't expect it will ever change. So you'd think after 3 1/2 years I'd KNOW to always check before closing any doors. Well tonight I didn't even think of it, opened the closet to hang up a sweater from the laundry and of course just like always, I then closed the door. FORGETTING to check to make sure no kids were keeping my clothing company. Shortly thereafter I went out to meet some girlfriends for a movie and appetizers afterwards. Just got home about 11:30.
 
The boys came running to greet me like always but Sheba was no where to be found and she's always the first to make it to the door when I get home. So I'm calling and calling and she never comes. Finally I get a sneaking suspicion where she might be. Opened the closet door and poor Sheba comes strolling out! She was locked in the closet for about 5 hours! And this is a tiny coat closet. Not like one of the big bedroom closets where she likes to hide and sleep the day away.
 
Poor thing! I felt terrible after I realized it. And this isn't the first time I've done that to her. One time she got locked in there all day long and then some while I was at work. Another time she snuck out the front door and I didn't catch her like I usually do because I never saw her get out. So she was stuck outside for a few hours that evening. Now for most cats, no big deal on the locked outside thing. For her probably no big deal as all the kids in my building love her and if they saw her they'd have been playing with her and all while I was gone. But I felt awful! My kids are all indoor cats.
 
Still doesn't make me feel any less guilty for not knowing where they are at all times and getting them stuck in a closet! And people wonder why I'm not ready for kids?
 

Kelley
Read my blog
Visit My Space
Check out CK2S Kwips and Kritiques

 

3 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Shelleen said...

I have had this happen and even had an indoor cat sneak out as it was a game we played. Well I didn't notice til that evening when I went to feed her. Unfortunatly she was hit by a car and I still blame myself and that was many years ago. Just this morning DS#2 left for school and while sitting here I could here his door being banged on, sure enough I open the door and out comes a cat LOL

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shut Smoky in the closet a couple of times! It happens to all cat moms at some point, so don't feel too bad about it. As for sneaking out, he loves to run downstairs to my sister's apartment if he gets a chance, which isn't often, but fortunately he's too afraid of the traffic noise to go out the front door. I hope.

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Angela's Designs said...

Poor kitty. There is a cat that has "adopted me". It lives in the neighborhood and comes to visit. It meows to be let in. It sits on the roof and can't get back down. I want to tell it I'm a bad cat mommy too, but it keeps coming around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home