Saturday, November 19, 2005

the new glasses saga

Well yesterday I had to break down and get new glasses. I had them Thursday night at home but Friday morning I couldn't find them anywhere. I looked all the usual places I put them, both bathrooms, my dresser and chest of drawers in the bedroom, the bookshelf in the spare bedroom where I've been sleeping, and all around the living room. Couldn't find them anywhere. I spent a whole hour before work searching and finally quit since I was going to be so late for work as a result.

I had my sunglasses but that was it. And I needed my regular glasses so I could go see Harry Potter last night and because I need them to drive. So I started calling around to different glasses places to see if someone could read the lenses on my sunglasses to give me a new pair of glasses from that. They all said they could but... I haven't had an eye exam in at least 5 years so they all refused to do it because it was too long since my last exam.

So then I called my eye insurance place to see what I could do about it since I never got an insurance card. Well they don't do cards, you have to call and request an benefit form before you go to the doc and then the doc fills it out. But of course, they refuse to fax it, they will only snail mail it, so people who need something in an emergency are pretty much out of luck. So THEN I had to call around to find a place that was inexpensive enough for me to afford out of pocket so I could get a basic exam and then go to Lenscrafters for glasses. I finally got Wal Mart who was cheapest and got the LAST appointment available for the day at 4:30. So this was most of my work day, trying to arrange to get new glasses.

Got my appointment, had to talk the doctor out of doing all the extra stuff he wanted to since it was so long because it all cost extra. LOL Then I went to Lenscrafters for glasses since they can do them in an hour. After all, I was in a hurry so I could make it to my "date" with Harry. LOL

And I can tell it's been a LONG time since I bought glasses. Prices have gone up a lot since the 5 plus year ago I last got some. I had a ton of frames picked out, narrowed it down to three, then one. but I had them write down the product numbers for me, since once my insurance form comes through, I'll probably get a second pair so I don't have to go through this again if I lose my glasses. But hey, this is the first pair I've lost in about 20 years of wearing them, so I have done really well till now.

And of course I had to get new sunglasses too since my prescription has changed a good bit so I don't want to go back and forth. So $450 later between appointment and two pairs of glasses, and a line of credit through Lenscrafters to pay for them, I walked out of there with some new glasses and made my movie.

I got home after the movie and guess what... I found my old glasses halfway under the bed. My best guess is Amun found them and thought they were a new toy and carried them under the bed. The other two have never touched them.

The only good thing about it was it forced me to go to the eye doctor for an exam since I probably would have procrastinated about it for at least another year before going again. And my new glasses are REALLY nice! And the new sunglasses are awesome. I got the polarized lenses so even though they aren't darkened down as much as my old ones were, they do a MUCH better job of blocking out the bright sun. It was a huge difference and for the first time I wasn't blinded driving in to the sun today, even WITH my sunglasses on.

6 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AArgh - how annoying is that! Anyhow, you were probably due an eye exam so look on the bright side. Had your prescription increased much in 5 years? Are you going to show us any pictures of you wearing your new glasses?

Take care

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Kelley said...

Well I'm not sure who posted the comment since it came up as anonymous for the user, so I can't say if you'll see pictures of me in my new glasses or not. *g* But like you said, it was annoying to deal with, especailly since my insurance will cover none of it. You have to have the benfit form IN HAND when you go to the doctor. I asked what people are supposed to do in an emergency and they couldn't answer that. Go figure.

My prescription didn't change a lot. I figured it hadn't since I can always tell when I am in need of a new eye exam, which is probably part of the reason I haven't gone in so long. I wasn't noticing any change. I asked the doctor and he said not a huge difference, but it was enough that when I put my new glasses on I could see a difference and will have to get used to them.

But I love my new sunglasses. They have polarized lenses and aren't as dark as my old ones are, which I was worried about since I'm outside so muc for work. They told me the polarized didn't need to be as dark because of how they worked. Wow what a difference! They darken things down more then my old sunglasses without losing color clarity. I swear the clouds looked like they would if I were watching a 3D movie. LOL

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kelley! Why are you sleeping in the spare bedroom and not your bedroom? Anything going on? Take care.
Mom

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Again Kelley!
What are your new glasses like and what color are they. Plastic or metal frames. Transitional or regular lens.
Bet you didn't think you'd hear from me this day, did you?
Love you.
Mom

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Kelley said...

Hi Mom! I knew you read my blog on occasion but this is the first time you posted to it. *g* My new glasses are wire frames but plastic temples. They are oval shaped, much smaller than my old ones and green. The temples are multicolor stripes. My sunglasses are just a basic dark drown, slightly elongated ovals, with a very faint cat's eye shape to them.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Kelley said...

oh yeah, and they are transition lenses. That's all I get anymore, though I still have to have sunglasses too. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home