Friday, October 13, 2006

Make your own pizza party

I went to one of those tonight. Never had attended that particular kind of party before. My table in Thrive decided to have one last activity together since all the tables will be switching up probably this week.

So we all went to Heather's for dinner. Everyone was supposed to bring whatever toppings they wanted but the basics were going to be there. Heather asked me if I'd mind bringing a salad so that was my contribution. Now when I'm on "salad duty" for dinners and such,I don't like to do the usual that everyone has all the time kind of salad. I have a kick-ass spinach salad recipe (not the usual spinach salad either) I've made several times that people always rave about. Well of course that was out this time because of the spinach recall so I had to find something new. Since we were having pizza, I wanted something that would go well with it..

Out came the recipe collections and cookbooks this afternoon. I found another good one but it required a bagged salad greens mix and since there was a recall just this week on some of those, I didn't want to do that either. I went through all my collections and cookbooks and settled on a tomato/mozzarella marinated salad. I figured that would be a good fir for our dinner tonight. It called for plum tomatoes and the ones at the grocery store were not even close to ripe so I substituted regular slicing tomatoes. I even made the marinade/dressing from scratch. Everyone LOVED it! Even though I sliced up the fresh basil that was supposed to go on it, but forgot the container. So I'll bet that would have made it even better if I'd have remembered it. Fortunately, lots of leftovers so I'll have lots of basil on it when I eat the left overs.

Six people showed up for dinner at Heather's and everyone brought different stuff. One person made a ground meat pizza, another made a BBQ chicken pizza, and the rest of us went more traditional. The dough was made from scratch and split up in to slightly larger than personal pan pizza size. I had lots of sauce, just a tiny bit of cheese (just the way I love it), mushrooms, onions, red and green peppers on mine. I knew we were doing this tonight so I made sure to eat minimal all day today so I'd have plenty of room for dinner. Pizza turned out great, I even had a couple extra slices to bring home. Salad turned out good, and we had a lot of fun just hanging out cooking together ad talking.

After dinner we all pitched in to help clean up then one of the people had to go home. The rest of us stayed to play some Trivial Pursuit until Heather had to go to bed (she has to be at work way early tomorrow, 5:30 I think she said). A few pictures were taken too so if I get some of those I'll have to post them too.

Heather's cats even came out to visit for a while. The one is just like Sheba when it comes to wanting attention. Her other cat is just like Aker who runs and hides when anyone besides me is around.

And thus began my busy weekend schedule. LOL At least I got some cleaning done today. Brunch tomorrow morning, State Fair tomorrow night. Sunday I'm going to my friend Marie's for a dog biscuit baking party. But that's story will be for another post... after we actually have the party.

Kinda funny when you think about it. Totally undomestic me making salad and cooking pizzas tonight, and cooking dog biscuits Sunday. Two days of kitchen excitement. LOL

Kelley
Read my blog
See My Space
CK2S Kwips and Kritiques

3 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger Shelleen said...

Love the idea of the pizza party and sounds like everyone had a great time.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Penelope Marzec said...

It is so much simpler to order pizza. :^)

But it does sound as if you had a wonderful time.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is such a great idea! I will have to try that sometime!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home