Saturday, April 23, 2005

I got a General's coin!

Now anyone who is not in the military or working with them probably won't get the significance of this but I'll try to explain as best I can. General's coins are special awards of a sort. Only a small quantity are made but the ones that are are very solid (ours are bronze toned) with a message along the lines of "for outstanding service" and an icon on one side and on the other they have the logo for the General's command. They are also enameled in full color so are quite an attractive item. Very few of these are given out and the coins are something that a lot of people with the military hope to get at some point. At least from my experience where I work. I don't know if that's the same everywhere.

Anyhow, we had a visit yesterday where I work from our commanding general, a two-star. The location I work has gotten to be pretty high profile within our command because a TON of work is ongoing to turn it into a large complex with a high number of soldiers and civilians working there or coming there for different things. I've been there for almost two years and the change in appearance and quality of the complex has improved drastically and it is really turning in to a gorgeous place. Anyhow, the general came down to visit and see what had been done and since the building I now work in was the most recently remodeled and occupied, he wanted to hold the meeting there. I stayed out of the way while it was going on, working my little tail off in my office. After the meeting was done I was given my chance to meet the general. (For me this was a big deal because I've been working for the Army Reserves for 7 1/2 years and had never met one before.) So I came out was introduced, talked to him a few minutes and then he gave me my coin as a token of appreciation for my hard work. Actually, our whole office got one, but since that is only about 5 people, it's not a lot. LOL

So I was thrilled to death to get one and it is a special award that not everyone is given. So I was pretty proud to be one of the few awarded those.

14 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...good for you...NOBODY CARES!!!

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations.
I managed to get an arcom during my 9 years in the army but never got any officer's coins.

Rick

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your blog entry helped me learn more about what a general's coin is, which is important because I am editing a book and needed the information.
Thank you and congratulations.
Some of us do care. :)

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here it is five years later and I had almost the same experience as MichelleMermaid. This is the most complete explanation available on the Web of what a General's Coin is! Thank you. Excellent work. I cared very much...

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Kelley said...

wow. I'm surprised people are still finding this blog entry several years later. I am glad of that. And glad to know a few people do care. :-) Especially since the explanation I gave about the significance has helped a couple folks with research. It was a little bit of a challenge to describe it without giving any key details away about the actual command and location. The military always wants us to be careful about that for security reasons.

So thank you for stopping by and letting me know I helped you in some small way. :-)

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have also heard that you are supposed to keep the coins on you when you go out. If you happen to see the General or officer that awarded you the coin you are supposed to shake his hand with your awarded coin in hand. If you don't have it...you must buy him/her a drink! I don't know how accurate this is, but just what I heard.

 
At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Hank Jr. said...

My oldest son just received the G. coin. He's been a pre-school teacher and class room coordinator along with resently replacing the cook for his school. He was asked to go back to the class room because the parents & kids missed him. We're very proud of our son. His grandfathers fought during WW 2. One in Europe & the other in the Pacific and one of his great grandfathers fought during WW 1. Congradulations to you & those that work with you. Keep up the great work !

 
At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Hank Jr. said...

My oldest son just received the G. coin. He's been a pre-school teacher and class room cordinater along with resently replacing the cook for his school. He was asked to go back to the class room because the parents & kids missed him. We're very proud of our son. His grandfathers fought in during WW 2. One in Europe & the other in Pacific and one of his great grandfathers fought during WW 1. Congradulations to you & those that work with you. Keep up the great work !

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My two sons each just received a generals coin from a major general. They were so honored and excited and I wanted to find out more about them. Do you know how many are made for each major general?

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous James O'Brien said...

First off I care, partly as I just received one from the Commanding General of Camp Pendleton and new it was a high honor but was looking for the significance of the coin. I did notice he gave it out to select people like the women marine who sang the National Anthem at the mud run event I was attending.

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dick

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is now August of 2014 and your post is still helping people. Thank you. My cousin was recently coined by a 3-star general. I knew it was a special achievement but I didn't know the significance of it until now. Thanks again.

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Not true "Anonymous" I care. Congrats Kelley!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger R. D. said...

Kelly, Thank you for the explanation! My sister received a General's coin and I haven't heard of it before. Your explaination is the one that most clearly explained it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home